750 N Diamond Bar Blvd #206, Diamond Bar, CA 91765

Excellent Service & Exceptional Care
Comprehensive Family Dentistry in Diamond Bar, CA


Lost Fillings Can be Restored with a Crown

While a filling is meant to repair a tooth for many years, they don’t really last forever. In time the natural bacteria in your mouth will start to work on the seam cementing your filling to the rest of the natural tooth enamel.

Once they invade this microscopic area, a new area of decay can sometimes form. Sometimes you might even notice a graying of the tooth enamel near the filling or a change in texture. Other times you might not even notice the filling had a problem.

Sometimes when a filling is lost there simply isn’t enough healthy tooth enamel remaining to secure a new filling in the void. In a case like this your Phillips Ranch - Family & Cosmetic Dentistry dentist will likely recommend restoring the entire enamel layer of the tooth with a crown.

The first step calls for the dentist to examine the tooth, to make sure no new decay has set in. If decay has penetrated down into the pulp or root of the tooth, they might need to perform a root canal to remove infected material and restore the missing structure.

Once any issues with the internal structure have been addressed, your dentist will form an abutment out of the core of the tooth. This post-like structure will later serve to anchor the crown in your mouth.

Then detailed impression is made of the area. This will be sent to a dental lab, where your new crown is prepared. A temporary crown is then secured over the abutment to keep it safe, while you await completion of your crown.

Once the dental lab has finished your new crown, Phillips Ranch - Family & Cosmetic Dentistry will call you in for a brief follow up appointment. The temporary crown is removed and your new permanent crown is cemented in place.

If you have a bad filling or you’ve lost a filling, you should not delay in contacting Phillips Ranch - Family & Cosmetic Dentistry’s office in Diamond Bar, California at 909-860-0321 to have it examined and treated.